Are you and your organization going through the pain of implementing Model-Based Definition (MBD) in a Model-Based Enterprise (MBE)? Have you already been-there-done-that?
The older I become, the more I realize that life is about the process rather than the product. In learning, it means you have to drudge through a bit of pain before you figure out the “answer.” Remember Differential Equations? In business, it means there may be some “stuff” you have to get through in order to convince yourself that you have come to the correct conclusion.
Action Engineering along with Lifecycle Insights, and supported by Anark, Honey Bee Manufacturing, Tech Soft 3D, and Siemens, launch a Design Documentation survey today. The survey is open until September 15, 2016.
Please take the survey to contribute your product design documentation experiences – the pains, the process, the benefits. If you’re involved with product design (think: components, assemblies, installations) using drawings, 3D models, and 3D models with Product and Manufacturing Information (PMI), we want your input! No matter whether you’re in engineering, manufacturing, product supply, academics, research, software development, or consulting, we want your input!
What’s in the survey and why do I care?
First, we ask very specific questions about Design Deliverables defined as follows:
- Drawings refers to one or more 2D graphical sheets documenting a design. This includes native and neutral formats such as DWG, DXF, 2D PDF and more.
- 3D Models refers to 3D solid or surface geometry representing a design. This includes native and neutral formats such as native or neutral CAD files, JT files and more.
- 3D Models with PMI refers to a 3D model that has been enhanced with Product and Manufacturing Information (PMI) such as notes, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and more.
And lastly, these are my two favorite questions:
- What have been your company’s experience with engineering documentation improvement efforts?
- What have been the biggest challenges? What have been the biggest triumphs? Have those efforts met expectations?
Why participate in the survey?
- Share your MBD challenges and triumphs
- Enumerate how long it takes you to generate a drawing, 3D model + drawing, and 3D-model-only product documentation
- Management is often shocked by how long it actually takes, and how many people are involved, to create product documentation – help us all understand the time involved
Complete the survey by September 15, 2016 – and invite your peers to do the same: