New standards are emerging as supplements to the existing ASME Y14 standards, born from the need to standardize 3D CAD processes and the geometric, dimensions and tolerances (GD&T) that still must accompany 3D data sets. The ASME Y14 series has been, and will continue to be the defining authority for model-based product definition. We’ve come a long way since ASME Y14.41 was first published in 2003. These standards continue to evolve, with more updates on the horizon to keep pace with the ever-changing world of 3D CAD.
Fred Constantino oversees ASME Y14 standards and will present the current state of these standards and future updates at the 3D Collaboration and Interoperability Congress (3D CIC) in Washington, DC on October 29, 2015.
ASME Y14 Series of Standards
Title: ASME Y14 Engineering Drawing and Related Documentation Practices
Charter: The development and maintenance of national standards for defining and documenting a product throughout its life cycle and related certification activities. This shall be accomplished by:
- recognizing the continuing need for existing standards regardless of the source medium (e.g., paper, film, and digital) or method of preparation (e.g., manual or computer generated);
- providing standardization where a variety of practices exist within industry and government;
- providing standards for new concepts and technologies; and
- supporting and coordinating development and harmonizing of standards with responsible standardization bodies, including ANSI, ISO, and government agencies.
Presentation Title: ASME Y14 Digital Product Definition Standards Enable MBE and MBD
- Importance of MBD standards
- Overview of ASME Y14 series
- Recent and future standards updates
It is clear that standard methods are required to enable and codify Model-Based Definition (MBD). The ASME Y14 series has been and will continue to be the defining authority for product definition. ASME’s Y14 series standards are important to the design community and contribute tremendously to “enabling” MBE. This presentation will offer an overview of standards and the importance of the germane Y14 standards or drafts along with their development status, such as the latest content overview and release dates. Find out what is updated and what work is left to do. The presentation will cover each relevant MBD standard with an executive summary, the latest content overview, and proposed release dates for: ASME Y 14.5, 14.41, 14.41.1, 14.46.